Thursday, February 7, 2008

How does this shit get by QA?

At first, I was going to start this post by asking, "Seriously, is there anybody on the planet that doesn't think that the 'boss battles' in Guitar Hero 3 are a miserable, miserable feature?" but in the end it's a stupid question. Obviously, someone at Neversoft thought it was a good idea. It must have gone through enough people that said, "okay, looks cool."

But there just has to be some sort of disconnect. Something we don't know. Like, if people gave it the go-ahead without knowing it'd be in the critical path of career mode. Or if it just got out of hand and was un-dumpable once Big Names got involved (Tom Morello was involved with the creation of his 'guitar battle' piece).

So I guess the question that I really want the answer to is, "exactly how much opposition did this feature face during game development?" If the answer is none, then I just don't know what to say about that team of developers, and the QA team involved (although I appreciate that most of QA is just bugfinding). The answer is more probably "some," though, and I'd really like to know why this opposition was ignored.

I guess I could be off base on the whole thing, but most people I've talked to either think battle mode is total shit and go into a huff (well that later part's actually just me) or just don't really mind it. Far and few between are those saying, "I really like how the Mariokart-like items inject some variety and randomness into a game that was heretofore based solely on mastery."

Oh well. My questions will never be answered. But what do you think happened there?

No comments: